LEAF 2013 - A Journey of Discovery!

Take the LEAF 2013 Food Survey

Sunday, July 21, 2013

City Slicker Farms - Providing Affordable Fresh Vegetables to Underserved Neighborhoods

On day 3 of LEAF at City Slicker Farms, the good thing that happened was we cleaned up the weeds, and the bad part is the bathroom in the recycling center. Today, I learned that chickens hate water, and if you want inexpensive vegetables just go to City Slick Farms!

~ Marvin

Today we went to City Slicker Farms and we helped them on the farm. We also got to analyze our data from our food survey. One thing I noticed was that lots of people at the farmers market get weekly groceries and are tourists. We also got to pick chicken eggs at City Slicker Farms. It was an awesome experience!

~  Khatab

Slicker Farms

Today I went to Slicker Farms in Oakland. The garden was very nice and had a lot of organic plants. I helped water the blueberry bushes and a pineapple guava bush.
I am interested in the farm because I would like to transform my own backyard into an amazing organic food garden.  It was interesting to learn that they created planter boxes instead of planting directly into the ground. I was surprised to learn that they use chicken manure to provide nutrients to the plants. I think they did an awesome job growing the garden. I was super impressed by the whole experience.

~ Rou Rou

Jason and I are incredibly impressed by the depth and breadth of information and experience Rou Rou is having. I don't think she has ever had a more complete educational experience!!! Thank you for all your hard work!

~ Shelli

Today we went to a farm. We got the chance to help them by doing some tasks. We split into groups and got to work. The first job my group got to do was plum picking. They looked fresh and delicious! Our job was finished pretty quickly, so afterwards, we got to do other jobs. It was fun, but something that wasn't so fun was the bathroom. The closest bathroom was at a recycle center, and they weren't very clean if I were to put it in the nicest way I could think of. On the other hand, overall I had a great time and hope to have more fun. I wander how the next place will look like and what kind of new things I will learn!!!

~ Noelly

Today we made posters about the surveys on the 3rd day. We each had two of the questions from the surveys and everyone put stickers on the paper chart to show what answers they got from people. There was also was a tally chart and we presented them to the group and showed what we noticed on the chart compared to other people.

We had lunch at the school and then took the bus to Oakland to Slicker Farms. We were put right to work and my group went to a plum tree with Todd and we picked a lot of plums and put them in numerous baskets. After that, we went back to the farm and weeded the area. There were barely any weeds. Yay! Then, my group and another one went to another area with plants to either get bugs off plants or weed that area. Marvin, Gabe, and I had a lot of fun hitting weeds as hard as we could and at the same time, we successfully got most weeds removed.

After that, I had to go to the bathroom and we went to one of Oakland's Recology areas. Soooooooooo different. We waited forever for someone to clean the bathroom but after, we came back but I was sad because we had nothing to weed. I watched Ben saw off parts of branches and ate sour apples. Then, we all gathered to the main farm and learned about the history of the farm. I learned that the farm was there since 2001 and they are very convenient to people who don't have much money when the farmers market stand was open.

Once again, my highlight was being on the bus with my friends and laughing hard. Also, the physical labor got me to get a new friend by doing the labor together. I hope the new friendship gets stronger. I hope tomorrow's a day of joy and laughter. 4th day going on 5.

~ Trey

On day five we made graphs to show what was in the foods surveys completed by everyone at the Civic Center Farmers’ Market. When we were at the City Slicker Farms, I was impressed about how many people wanted their food to taste good (impressed, not surprised). Around 40 people. I don't know what was challenging. I learned about how to coil a hose. I think it was great to work on the farm to have that experience.

~ Luke

City Slicker Farms

We combined all of our surveys and looked to see how many people buy organic food or bike there or like gluten. Then we took the bus to City Slicker Farms in Oakland. We helped clear out all the chicken poop, which is surprisingly big; we also picked plums, swept spider webs, pulled weeds, scrapped scale, etc. It felt good to take action. Todd told me to say a fact of life so “one creature's waste is another's food.”

My thorn is getting the stuff in my eye.

My rose was eating the warm apple and I wanted an apple for the whole summer.

~ Sam

Today I loved going to the urban farms and making charts about are survey. I learned that most people go to fast food restaurants because they are cheap. I also learned at the farm that you can use tree branches as stakes. I have lots of fun this past week exploring new things.


~ Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment