LEAF 2013 - A Journey of Discovery!

Take the LEAF 2013 Food Survey

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Recology, Civic Center Farmers' Market and SF Food Bank by Rou Rou!

Recology

The Recology business is cool. I have learned what is happening yo our waste, recycling, and compost. The waste is dumped into  a pit, recycling is sorted thoroughly and the compost is made into soil. I was able to watch people sort through the recycling. I was very interested in the bird keepers because they use birds of prey to chase off the seagulls. Compost can be seen as a 'fact of life" event. Material is broken down and helps other things to grow. I think that Recology center is a great way to help  keep our earth healthy and clean and has done an amazing job.

Civic Center Farmers Market and SF Food Bank

Today I went to the Farmers Market and the SF Food Bank.I helped create the survey that we used today. My team and I went around the market asking people if they had time to take our survey. I learned that a lot of people care that their food is organic and care that their food is yummy at the same time. People depend on the farmers to provide food and the farmers in turn need the consumer. I am glad people care about organic food as much as I do. The rest of the day  spent at the SF Food Bank was very meaningful. I was very excited to be a part of creating 1,700 pounds of rice for people in need. My team also packed tomatoes. We packed 1 ton of tomatoes in less than 1 hour. We also took part in a simulation game called Hunger 101.  I found the process of trying to budget  and feed my pretend husband and me on $4.50 a day very difficult. I was very disappointed when I found out that although I am poor I am not considered poor enough for food stamp assistance. It took me a long time to fill out all the paperwork just to be rejected. We are very poor and often hungry and I can't imagine how we will continue without assistance. In reality 1 out of 4 people in San Francisco goes hungry every day.  It made me think about all the hungry people and it makes me want to work harder to figure out how to feed every hungry person. I really feel grateful that my family has enough food to feed me meals, snacks and treats every day.


~ Rou Rou

No comments:

Post a Comment